Much of the credit for UC's Sustainability initiative belongs to the students who first brought this issue to the Regents in 2002. Since then, UC students have been instrumental in shaping and implementing the University's sustainability policy. Students have also played a crucial role in educating faculty, administrators, staff, and their peers about environmental stewardship and campus sustainability. This section highlights student sustainability efforts within the UC.
Student Fee Referenda
Student-approved fee initiatives to fund campus sustainability projects:
Sustainability Internship Programs
The Alliance to Save Energy's Green Campus Program:
Employs and trains paid student interns on six UC campuses. Interns educate the campus community about the importance of energy efficiency and conservation through activities such as CFL exchanges, residence hall energy competitions, and energy audits of campus offices.
- Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Sustainability (CACS) internship program
- Student and Residential Sustainability Education Coordinators (SSEC, and RSEC) Programs, Program Poster (jpg)
- Building Sustainability at Cal: A student-facilitated course and internship program that trains students to become building sustainability coordinators.
Student Government Organizations
Student Housing Programs
- Green Demonstration Areas, Program Poster (jpg)
- International House Sustainability Committee, Program Poster (jpg)
Athletics and Recreational Sports
UC's sports facilities are doing their part to help the UC system reach its ambitious sustainability goals to reduce waste, cut energy use, conserve water and shrink its carbon footprint.
Cal Recreational Sports publishes PLAYGreen, a blog with articles on how to reduce the environmental impact of staying fit and healthy at UC Berkeley.
UC Santa Barbara's Recreation Center received a LEED-EB Silver rating from the US Green Building Council in June, 2008. The second LEED-EB building on the Santa Barbara campus, the Recreation Center earned its certification through water and energy conservation measures and by increasing the recycling rate by 70%, among other initiatives.
- The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education maintains a site devoted to Dorm Energy Competition Best Practices.
- The American College Personnel Association (ACPA) Task Force
A national student affairs professional association.
- The California Students Sustainability Coalition (CSSC)